Bookmark and Share

Trash, Recycling & Yard Waste

  1. What's my pickup day?
    Enter your address on the City Services page to look up your trash, recycling and yard waste schedule.
  2. What time can I put my trash out?
    Trash should be at the curb by 6 a.m. on your pickup day. You may put your carts at the curb starting at 5 p.m. the evening before your pickup day.
  3. Can I put large items at the curb?
    Bulky items, such as furniture, larger appliances and tires, require a special pickup; please call 591-6000 to schedule your appointment.
  4. What if they miss my trash?
    If your trash pickup is missed, please call 591-6000. Just keep in mind that our drivers keep a list of homes without trash at the curb when they arrive -- which means it won't be picked up until the following week.
  5. What happens if my trash collection day is a holiday?
    Holidays usually shift the collection day back by one day, with Thursday pickup on Friday, Friday pickup on Saturday, etc. See a list of City Holidays affecting garbage collection.
  6. Can I set out my yard waste?
    Yard waste may be placed at the curb every other week, on the same day that your recycling is collected. For full details, please visit the Yard Waste page.
  7. What can I recycle?
    • All plastic bottles and jugs, collapsed and with the lid screwed back on
    • Glass jars and bottles of any color
    • Aluminum and steel cans
    • Empty aerosol cans with lids and tips removed
    • Paperboard (i.e.: cereal boxes, 12-pack containers, etc.)
    • Cardboard (broken down to 3-foot-by-3-foot sections)
    • A variety of paper products, including office paper, newspaper, magazines, junk mail and envelopes (with or without windows), telephone books and paper grocery bags (plastic grocery bags not accepted)

Streets & Roads

  1. How can I report a pothole?
    Just visit or call 513-591-6000.
  2. How can I report an abandoned or illegally parked car?
    If the vehicle is abandoned, please call 591-6000. If the vehicle is illegally parked, please call your local police district to report the vehicle.
  3. How can I get my street swept?
    The City sweeps streets on a quarterly schedule. If you have a special request, please call 591-6000.
  4. Will my street be repaved soon?
    The City's Street Rehabilitation Program identifies streets around the neighborhood to be repaved. The goal is to work in each neighborhood at least once every 3 years. For the most recent list of streets, please see the Street Rehabilitation Program.
  5. Who can remove a dead animal from the road?
    Please call 591-6000 to tell us about it. Please be sure to tell us where you saw the dead animal. Or, send us a Customer Service Request by selecting "Bugs, Pests and Animals" and filling out the appropriate form.
  6. How can I report damage from a pothole or City equipment?
    To file a claim, contact Customer Service at 513-591-6000 or contact the department involved in the Claim directly. Please make note of date, time, street address and equipment number of any City equipment involved. Pothole damage will need a specific address, description of the lane (ex: inbound, outbound, curb lane, etc.), along with any insurance damage claims.
  7. How do I report street light or signal outages?
    If a traffic signal is out or malfunctioning, please call 591-6000. For street lights, please fill out a Customer Service Request by selecting the "Streets, Street Lights and Sidewalks" category and filling out the appropriate form.
  8. Who do I contact about blocked roads, mud slides, wall failures and trees downed in the roadway?
    Please call 591-6000 right away for urgent issues regarding roadways.

Parks & Recreation Facilities

  1. When do Cincinnati Recreation pools open for the summer and close for winter?
    Please call CRC's InfoLine at 352-4000 for details on this year's opening and closing dates in your neighborhood.
  2. How do I reserve a Parks facility?
    To reserve one of our Premier Facilities (Ault Park Pavilion, Alms Park Pavilion, Mt. Echo Pavilion, French House, Berry International Friendship Park Pavilion, Krohn Conservatory, Maple Ridge Lodge and Oak Ridge Lodge), call Premier Park Events at 221-2610.
    • To rent a picnic shelter or wedding area for your special event or meeting, call 357-2604.
    • For Special Use Permits, applications are on the Cincinnati Parks website or call 357-2602.
    • For Parking Passes, Photography Permits and Metal Detector Permits, call 352-4080.

Income Taxes

  1. Who pays City income tax?
    Anyone who lives or works in Cincinnati is subject to the 2.1% income tax regardless of age or income level. A tax return is required unless the taxpayer is an employee whose only taxable income are wages and the employer withholds the Cincinnati income tax. A list of streets located within Cincinnati can be obtained by calling the Income Tax Division at 352-3838 between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  2. How are taxes paid?
    Property tax questions should be sent to the Hamilton County Auditor. Common questions regarding the City’s income tax can be found on the City Tax webpage.

Building & Zoning Issues

  1. How can I get a building permit?
    The staff of the Business Development & Permit Center is happy to help you with building permits. The Center is located at 3300 Central Parkway, near the I-75 Hopple Street exit. It is open Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 352-4306 for help on permits for your project.
  2. Who do I contact about building and zoning problems?
    Please fill out a Customer Service Request by selecting “Building Problems” and filling out the appropriate form. Your request will be sent to the appropriate department, depending on the type of issue.
  3. Who can I call about bed bugs, roaches, rats and other pests?
    Please call 591-6000 or fill out a Customer Service Request by selecting "Bugs, Pests and Animals" and filling out the appropriate form.

Water & Sewers

  1. How can I report sewer backups into my basement?
    Operators are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 352-4900. Or report your sewer backup online. Please note, you must report the problem immediately (within 24 hours of first noticing it) to MSD's Customer Call Center.
  2. How can I report a broken water main?
    Call 591-7700 to report water main breaks or leaks 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. Be sure to give the street address and cross street or intersection.